Saturday, April 04, 2009

Music as Mnemonic

I get a daily email from a crowd called Catapult Magazine. The emails are usually a quote from one of the short articles that appear in the magazine itself - and every week (I think) they send out a list of the articles. Some of the quotes are worth keeping track of and reflecting on, but I don't often read the articles through lack of time.
However, there was a quote that appeared today that sparked my interest in the article itself. It's by Josh Mosey, and is entitled, Music is mnemonic (as you can see from the title, I think it might be better as music as mnemonic, but that's a matter of opinion).
Like most articles on Catapult, it's fairly short; their articles always seem to me as though they're only just getting into their game when they stop.
Anyway, here's a quote from it:
A friend recently gave me his definitive mix album. It is made up of the songs that best represent his musical tastes. But it is more than that. What my friend gave me was a stained-glass window into his life experiences. This is why we relate well to people who share our musical preferences; we share bits of our soul.
John Mosey supposedly hosts a site called ThoughtCrimeMarketing, but the message after you've clicked on the link says it doesn't exist. Anyway, Josh exists, because this is a photo of him. Supposedly.

8 comments:

Josh Mosey said...

Hey, this is Josh Mosey. I stumbled across your blogpost today and wanted to say that yes, I do exist and yes, that is a photo of me. ThoughtCrime Marketing is a new business and though I have the domain registered, I haven't posted on it yet. Instead, you can go to www.thoughtcrimemarketing.wordpress.com for my temporary site until the full version is up and running. Thanks for reading my article! Maybe next time I'll write something a bit longer just for you.

Mike Crowl said...

Good to know you're real, Josh. And - I've just noticed - being John the Revelator and eating the book.
Glad to hear, too, that you stumbled across my blog; better than tripping over it, certainly. I checked out your TCM blog and had a little look - and left a comment.
Yeah, next time seven paragraphs would be even better!

Anonymous said...

Mike:
Josh does indeed exist. I've known him for a few years - though I've never actually seen him eat a book.

Andrew Rogers

Mike Crowl said...

It's really good to have more than one confirmation of Josh's existence. There are too many pretend people pretending to eat pretend books on the Net, I think!

Becki Meek said...

Yes, that is Josh, and I have seen him eat stranger things than a book! I am his "Mission Trip Mom" - and have fed him many times! Also
known (affectionately?)as "Moose" - maybe he will write about that?!

Mike Crowl said...

This is amazing. So many people find it necessary to confirm that Josh is Josh.
No one's in the least interested in confirming that I'm Mike Crowl.
As the character I'm playing in When We are Married says (often): Extr'ord'n'ry!

Anonymous said...

After reading the blogs (which I have never done before) I also would like to post my comments on the supposedly fictious Josh Mosey. I have known Josh for about 4 years now and would like to confirm that Josh is real. I have met this individual a number of times and have even given him one of my most precious jewels. He is a young man who I am proud to call my son in law. A unique individual who is a wonderful husband to my favorite youngest daughter. Mike I am thankful that you are also a real person and not a pretend person posting a pretend blog. So carry on and happy reading. F.I.L.

Mike Crowl said...

Thanks for your comments. Plainly Josh has plenty of fans!