Monday, May 25, 2009

Global cooling?

Further to my 'Shuffling Stats' post the other day, here's a quote from Muriel Newman's latest column:

According to the theory of global warming being touted by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Al Gore and many others (who have spent an estimated $50 billion trying to show man-made greenhouse gas emissions are causing catastrophic global warming) the earth’s temperatures should be rising in line with a continuing increase in carbon dioxide emissions.[3] The problem is that the planet stopped warming more than a decade ago. In fact, global warming has now been replaced by global cooling and while carbon dioxide levels continue to rise, temperatures continue to fall. This graph demonstrates that the global warming theory based on the computer models of the IPCC and others, is wrong.

The fact that the earth is now in a cooling phase should come as no surprise to New Zealanders, given the unseasonally cold weather we are presently experiencing. Some
weather analysts are even predicting that we may miss out on autumn altogether this year!

4 comments:

bethyada said...

Despite a warmish summer recently, I have said several times to my wife that I think the winter is going to be particularly cold based on a number of factors, namely:

sun spot minimum,
the north pacific decadal oscillation recent switch to a cool phase, and
a current La Nina.

My wife agreed I should blog on my prediction, but with winter only a week away it seems a bit late now.

Mike Crowl said...

Never too late. Blog away, and let me know when you have.

Alistair Mackay said...

An excellent article by Muriel Newman: the wheels are falling off the global warming theory, because temperatures have been decreasing over the last few years, rather than increasing as predicted.
Perhaps Dunedin weather is regressing as well. The weather that we have had this May reminds me of my time at Otago University in the 1970's: drizzly, cold and gray. Since I moved to Dunedin 12 years ago, the weather seems to have been much better.

Mike Crowl said...

Yes, I think this year is quite different to the last few years, when we've had wonderful Indian summers. Pity! However, today there's a frost and SUNSHINE; probably going to be a lovely day. Hopefully that patch is over!