Friday, July 26, 2013

Non Sequiturial

Sometimes I'm given some odd things to write about - apart from the odd things I write about without anyone handing them to me.  The following line came out of the blue today, and on first glance doesn't appear to make much sense: Good Yamaha Stagepas 300 at Musicians Friend.  (The lack of an apostrophe didn't help either.)

I thought at first it had something to do with a stage-pass, and that someone had left the second 's' off, and was giving away 300 of them.  But apparently Stagepas is a brand name.  So there you go, something else I've learned today.  Something else to file away in the non sequitur folder, the same one in which I've just found this statement, which applies to revision when you're writing: Non sequiturs. Although these can occur with no help from technology, they are another by-product of sloppy word-processing. When text gets moved around, new transitions are sometimes needed to connect the dots.

Yup, we've all been there.  I've managed to do it inside blog posts as well. 

No comments: