Friday, January 16, 2009

Frank Crowl


Being an inveterate looker-upperer of my own name on the Web, I thought I'd have a change and do another check to see what there was on my father, Frank Crowl.
Since I last looked he's come up in the Google world. Instead of there only being one or two references to him, and those mostly only in relation to Cecil Purdy, the great Australian chess player, he's now appearing on several sites. And there's a photo of him on this site. It's not the clearest, but it will suffice for the time being. (I have some photos in albums somewhere, which I might dig out.)
The cigarette holder is plainly visible - apparently it was almost a fixture.
The other day, on a blog called Bloggercises, I had a brief correspondence with someone who was impressed to meet Frank Crowl's son (via the Net). Felt quite famous for a moment. [Check down in the comments on this link.]

My father is now referenced on ChessGames.com, on Amazon.com (in relation to Purdy's book: How Purdy Won), in some discussion of The Kibitzer, on the MasterChessGames site, where all the games are ones he won, on a blog where a game he played with Bob Wade is analysed, in the Google books online 'copy' of the Batsford Chess Puzzle Book, and on a page called The Mad Aussie's Chess Trivia. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I've picked up recently.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

For several years now, I have been working on a serious biography of Bob Wade, with his knowledge, blessing and active support. Sadly, of course, Bob passed away two months ago. He played in the 13th Australian Championship at Sydney, 1945, which started on VJ Day. Bob met your father there and played him in the 11th round. I have had some help from a number of Australian correspondents, including (indirectly) John Purdy. I have managed to drag up a lovely tournament photo, which has your father seated next to Bob. I could send you a copy, if you were interested - and the chapter (chapter 3, titled "Great Auk", after Purdy's name for Bob - no "kiwi or weka") for your comment. I would be delighted if you had any material that was useful.

Best regards,
Paul McKeown

(you can contact me at paulmckeown_dpk AT hotmail DOT com, or via the English Chess Forum, www.ecforum.org.uk)