Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Realty

Realtor is one of those American words that just hasn’t taken on in other English speaking countries, at least as far as I know. To me it’s in the same category as using the word authored by instead of written by, or some other Americanisms that just aren’t pleasant on the ear.
It seems as though even Americans aren’t entirely comfortable with the use of the word, as when I look at a typical US Real Estate site, I find they’re using Real Estate Agents as the norm, and it’s only towards the end of the home page that there’s the use of the word Realtor, where it relates to the National Association of Realtors. Realtor and Realty seem to be official sort of words that get used with Real Estate in the US, but aren’t the common words.
Well, that’s all a bit of a burble on the topic, but then burbling about certain things is part of what I do!

No comments: