Monday, May 21, 2012

Grandparents


I once got into a little bit of trouble for writing a poem about grandparents - you can see the poem here and see why it might be misinterpreted.

On the other hand, one of the most popular articles I've ever published online was also about grandparents.  For a brief spell, it received dozens of comments (some entirely missing the point that it was tongue-in-cheek, as was the poem mentioned above) and earned me a bit of cash via Google Adsense.

I was reminded about these two pieces when I came across the phrase personalized grandparent gifts just now.   Hmm...personalized grandparent gifts; so like our dear friends in the US of A to find yet another marketing ploy.  Next we'll be celebrating Grandparents Day (or maybe it'll be split into Grandfather Day and Grandmother Day) - in fact, if it wasn't for the fact that the Internet is having one of its occasional down moments I could tell you whether any of these days already exist.  And I suspect they do!

Okay, an hour later...and the Internet is back again (in the meantime we've been out to see one of my aunts - for the first time in some years) and yes, there is a National Grandparents' Day, and it's been going since 1978, and, as I suspected, some places even separate out a Grandfather and Grandmother day.  Good grief.  Next it'll be National Auntie Day or Uncle Day...wait.  No need to wait - here's the gen on the Aunt and Uncle's Day.  Supposedly it's celebrated on July 26th.  I suspect it might be a bit of a have, along with Creative Ice Cream Day or Compliment Your Mirror Day or Amelia Earhart Day, and a bunch of others.

Oh, dear.

No comments: