Friday, September 27, 2013

Fisherman's Friend

When I see the company, Musician's Friend - they're currently advertising the Akai mpk 49 at Musician's Friend, for instance - I'm invariably reminded of the Fisherman's Friend, a brand of strong menthol lozenges produced by the Lofthouse company in Fleetwood, Lancashire, England. These have been going strong since 1865, so it's not surprising that they're floating around in the collective culture. I don't know where I first heard of them - perhaps some singers I've known over the years have taken them - but they're certainly familiar.

It turns out there's a singing group called the Fisherman's Friends - I'd never heard of them before, but like everyone else these days, you can find their videos on You Tube. This is a typical example of their bouncy shanty style, though in this video, as they wander around some UK coastline, they all look frozen to the bone. 



No comments: