Saturday, April 07, 2007

Just keep an eye over your shoulder

The other day, in one of those rare egotistical moments I have, I added myself to a site called zoominfo.com. It never crossed my mind to check that I might already be on there – after all, there are six billion people on the planet, and zoominfo mostly focuses on people in the US. But today, when I happened to come across the site again while looking up Brent Stavig (see the previous post), I found I was on there not once, not twice, but four times! Firstly there was the listing I put in myself the other day. Then there was a listing with me as a freelance writer. I hadn’t put this on. It had been picked up because a couple of Internet references caught up my name and collated them together.
And then I turned up as the Manager of OC Books, my former workplace.
And then I turned up as the writer of the Daily Writer at OC Books.
There are some ways in which the Internet can be a scary place. Big Brother, possibly, had nothing on it! What do you think?

1 comment:

Brent Stavig said...

Hey Mike -
Brent Stavig #1 here. Actually I was merely a guest on the James Dean tour in NYC. The leader is a gent named David Loehr who is the foremost James Dean authority in the world, and who lives in Jimmy's hometown of Fairmount, IN.
I'm no longer an actor, but I am still a musician; although I'm not actively playing at the moment.
I'm the Transportation Supervisor at Starbucks Coffee Company here in Seattle, which is a great job.
Your fans can find me at My Space under the moniker bscowler, if they so choose.
The cranky letters to the editor are mine, but while I used to have a bike back in the NYC days, I've never met Brent Stavig #2 who appears to be quite the bike expert.
Keep on a'bloggin', and enjoy the spring!
- Brent