Monday, May 06, 2013

Making the most of the time


Just came across a long extract from William Barclay, on the subject of writing that I posted on one of my now-defunct blogs. There's some very good advice for writers in it, but one particular thing struck me afresh. He writes: My second rule is Keep Going. One of the greatest time-wasters, I find, is the habit we have of saying'I've only got twenty-five minutes. It's not worth starting.' But I find it is always worth starting. To return to John Wesley, he did most of his reading on horseback. It is amazing how much you can get done in the odd quarter-hour or half-hour. There is not one unit of time that cannot be used.

Wesley, according to Barclay, preached forty-two thousand sermons in fifty-three years, averaged four thousand five hundred miles per year in travel, and wrote or edited four hundred and fifty books.

I think this is something worth noting, that we don’t use those odd minutes well.  I used to be able to cope at a job in the Dunedin City Council where the phone would ring constantly, and you had to get on with your other work fitting around the phone calls. You learned to move from one thing to another without difficulty. It was somewhat the same at the bookshop: you’d be in the middle of something when a customer walked in.  Drop one thing, take up another, and then come back to the first. Yet I was very productive in those days.  In my last office job, it used to annoy me when the person senior to me would interrupt my work, especially if it meant putting something aside completely; but in fact it was no different a matter than in those other places. 

These days it's not a matter of interruption so much as of making the most of the odd minutes I do have (yes, retired people can be surprisingly busy in a day!) Some piece of creative work can be moved forward a paragraph or two in quarter of an hour - it's not the same as getting a sustained period of time,  but it's still of value. The thing is to do that rather than flitting through Facebook or Twitter or something else. Or writing blog posts about doing it!

John Wesley: Riding a Horse Whilst Reading a Book
by Richard Gilmore Douglas


2 comments:

Lydia said...

This is such good advice, and it's something I definitely need to learn to do better.

Mike Crowl said...

Indeed. Barclay could be a bit over the top in terms of what might be workaholism, but he certainly produced plenty of books to prove his point. I think the biggest issue with this approach is being disciplined enough in your mind to pick up and carry on from where you left off, at a moment's notice, as it were. "Ah, I have ten minutes, and nothing else I need to do. I'll write my book for ten minutes." That sounds great, but it may prove that you've got to do ten minutes of re-reading your own material before you can start to tap away at the keyboard...
Anyway, Barclay's view is still worth bearing in mind, because I think a lot of writers procrastinate more than they need...