Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Swept along on HitTail

About a week ago I signed on with a site called HitTail. The theory behind hittail is related to the 20/80 principle that works in retail and many other areas. Most key words in sites are connected to the 20 part of the ratio. However HitTail’s idea is that in the 80 section there are millions of words that people will actually look for that aren’t key words in the usual sense – except to the person doing the looking.
For a start my experience with HitTail was rather disappointing. I knew that not many people look at this blog, but getting the sense from HitTail that nobody at all was looking was disheartening. However, since then things have picked up and HitTail tells me a few people have actually come across my site…by accident. Well, that’s what happens when you go searching: Google brings up all manner of things, like a fisherman fishing in a particularly polluted piece of water.
Now the curious thing is that HitTail tells me that the following were noted as being searches that brought people to my site.
Postie.com
Portmanteau word boat for workers
Godunedin
Anna Leese
Timelock 1957
Andrew J Hiduke
Mike Crowl.
Of these, five can said to be reasonable hits: I used the word ‘portmanteau’ in my last post in regard to condominiums. Godunedin is a post that’s been on the site for some time, when I commented that I always misread it as God in Dunedin. Anna Leese turns up in another post as one of the three NZ singers who sang together in the UK whom I’ve played for at some time in my life. Timelock is the name of a movie with Sean Connery in a very minor role that I mentioned recently.
And of course Mike Crowl is ubiquitous.
Postie.com hadn’t clicked with me until I did a bit of searching myself and realised it’s part of PayPerPost’s current expansion. So we can accept that as a reasonable search result too.
But Andrew J Hiduke? He definitely doesn’t turn up on my blog – at least not when I do a search of either it or the brain of the writer who wrote it. You can’t even find Andrew J Hiduke on Google. We get a James J, and an Andrew D, but around about then the trail really runs pretty cold. Did Google say to itself: heck, we can’t find this name anywhere on our billions of pages; let’s just throw the searcher off the track completely and send him off to a random blog. Here, there’s one that no one ever reads: Mike Crowl’s Random Notes. That’ll put him off!
Andrew, whoever you are, I hope whoever was looking for you has found you. I’d hate to think of the two of you alone in cyberspace, searching for each other, and getting tossed off into random blogs like mine.

1 comment:

Mike Levin said...

It's probably a false referrer. We've thought about verifying each reported referrer, and we still might do that. Problem is the resources it takes to go out and crawl all the pages to ensure that the keyword reported is actually on the page.